Gentoo's version of stable and Debian's version of stable are
fundamentally different in that Debian's stable will not break the API
of an application on upgrade, while Gentoo will.  I just took down a
Gentoo server I haven't reinstalled in ages, and over its life I
remember Postfix updates especially being a pain because of config
changes from v1 to v2 and within v2.x.  So don't get me wrong and think
that Gentoo isn't stable enough for a server, just make sure you know
what you have in mind when you say stable - there's more to it than just
not crashing.