> If you don't use the ~arch flag it's as stable, if not
> more so than any other distro's stable version.

This has niggled me for a while...
Are the ~arch flags intended to denote the stability of the ebuilds
or the stability of the packages? To me it makes more sence for them
to denote ebuild stability since software developers already have
their own mechanisms for telling us which software they recomend as
stable (even and odd version numbers etc) and I think they should
know best about the software they wrote?

e.g. I was quite happy to find that mutts 1.5 branch ebuild has been
marked as stable (Their developer branch last time I looked) which
suggests that infact gentoo doesn't have a policy for marking stable
software, apart from the ebuilds themselves. (Somthing I would really
be happy with since I much appreciate being given a choice about
what versions I run.)

Is this all clearly specified somewhere, if so can someone give a
pointer to the document, else should it be made more clear to people,
since I guess their may be others who arn't sure how they should be
inturpreted?

thanks,
Robert