The man page (man emerge) says that you can "inject" a package. Or make
portage assume its installed by:

emerge -i <pkgname>
or
emerge inject <pkgname>

If portage thinks the latest version is installed it won't worry that
you have a newer one installed. Hope that helps.

Side note for everyone else, shouldn't there be (or isn't there) a faq
for this sorta thing?