On Wednesday 06 August 2003 20:30, Jordan Elver wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering how I can handle the merging of ~x86 packages. For example,
> I wanted to install opera 7 which is unstable, so I did:
>
>       KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge opera

Shouldn't that be ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" ?

> The problem now though is that everytime I do an emerge world it wants to
> downgrade opera to version 6. How can I tell portage that I want to keep
> ~x86 versions of certain packages?
When updating just use emerge with "--upgradeonly" option or "-U" for short.
Then it won't downgrade.

> I have the same problem with apache (but the other way around) as I want to
> keep apache1 but emerge insists on upgrading to 2.
>
> How can get around this?
This is a little bit different. You can first "inject" the newer package with
"emerge -i <package>" or "emerge inject <package>". After that portage will
think that this package is already installed and you can safely install the
older one. Check 'man emerge' for details.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Renat