On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 20:47, rh wrote:
> As per http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=56633, I have followed
> the instructions but am having a few problems. Although this guide is
> great at telling you what to do to get your email system working, like
> most of HOWTO's, magazine, books, etc concerning Linux, they don't
> tell you why you are doing something. At the risk of looking stupid, I
> have a couple of questions:
>
> Fetchmail / Procmail is working. But where exactly does fetchmail put
> your email before it passes it to procmail?

Haven't read the guide, but from what I recall of estting up fetchmail,
it's either dumped directly into procmail or into your MTA. I also
recall fetchmail as having an informative (ie good, useful) website,
it's probably the best place to learn more.

> And if I am losing emails due to a bad procmailrc, how would I know
> it?

procmail logging on with
LOGFILE=/some/place/I/have/perms/to/write/to/procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all

where 'I' = mail user for global procmail or $user for ~/.procmailrc

> My emails are sitting in my ~/.maildir (after being fetchmail'ed and
> procmail'ed), and I can read them using any text editor. Is this
> normal? Does Courier-IMAP now just read the emails from this
> directory? And I am assuming that when I try to access my email from
> my work computer, the emails stay on my home computer and are not
> downloaded to my work computer, correct?

That's how maildir works, if you were using mbox they'd be stuck
end-to-end in one big file

Can't comment on courier imap, it doesn't like some of the stuff my mail
system does so I don't use it

--
Yorkshire Dave
top-posters will be ignored