On Monday 11 August 2003 15:40, daniel wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 09:23, Renat Golubchyk wrote:
> > >From /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc :
> >
> > --- cut here ---
> > debug - Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging. Effects
> > vary acrosss packages, but generally it will at least add -g to CFLAGS.
> > Remember to set FEATURES+=nostrip too.
> > --- cut here ---
> >

> > Set "debug" USE flag and add nostrip to FEATURES and you can do some
> > debugging.
>
> just one last question:  what does "nostrip" do?

nostrip tells portage not to strip the binaries after compilation. The
binaries remain bigger in size but they also have the symbols in them (like
debugging symbols). After stripping the binaries become smaller, sometimes
even 3 or 4 times smaller. Stripping is as far as I know safe, so nothing
gets broken. See man strip.

Cheers,
Renat