On August 11, 2003 07:33 pm, Bryan Feir wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 04:14:23PM -0700, Pat Kerwan wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 06:42:35PM -0400, gabriel wrote:
> > > you mentioned that this feature can enlarge a binary...  does this mean
> > > i'll take a performance hit?  i only ask 'cause if this is not the
> > > case, i'll recompile everything i have with these options...
> >
> > No.  The binary simply contains additional data that is used by
> > debuggers so it will know where to find variables, functions, and map
> > instruction addresses to file and line number (or the other way
> > around), and things of that nature.
>
>    And more to the point, said information is not even loaded into memory
> unless you have a debugger running on the program; it only takes up space
> on the disk, not in RAM.  So aside from a possible but tiny increase in
> load time, it won't affect performance at all.

alright then, i've permanently added the above to my make.conf file.  but
recompiling kopete with these changes provided me no new information after
the crash.  ie. before i recompiled, i got the following after a crash:

 (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
  <...many times>
  (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...[New Thread
16384 (LWP 5979)]

  0x4162af67 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
  #0 0x4162af67 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0

now i just get this:

[New Thread 16384 (LWP 6945)]
0x41632f67 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#0  0x41632f67 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0

how is the second version any more helpful than the first?

--
"mr. ghandi, what do you think of western civilization?"
"i think it would be a good idea."