On Wednesday 06 August 2003 13:33, rh wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone else has had bad experience with reiserfs.
>
> I started using Gentoo a few months ago, played with it until I knew what I
> was doing (sort of) and what I wanted to install and how I wanted it
> configured.
>
> Then I wiped the system clean and the only thing I changed was changing my
> filesystem from ext3 to reiserfs. It got rather ugly after that. The system
> would freeze randomly, would freeze during emerges and during compiles.
> Tried re-installing and the damn thing froze during this on at least five
> occasions.
>
> So, wiped the system clean again, re-installed with ext3 as my filesystem
> and so far all appears well although I am still in the middle of finalizing
> my installation.
>
> Just curious as I really didn't think that changing the filesystem would
> have such terrible effects on my system. Wouldn't mind some theories as to
> what went wrong.

my only problem with reiserfs was, when last month a thunder stroke into a
tree nearby, destroyed a hard drive mobile rack and two of the 3 reisefs
partitions of the built in harddisk.

I was lucky, one was a spare partition, the other one /usr/portage.

But I had no software-problems related to reiserfs EVER.

I had two dying harddisks, but even the ext2/swap partitions didn't survive
that, so why should reiserfs.

Glück Auf
Volker