On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:41:14AM +0200 or thereabouts, Matthias F. Brandstetter
wrote:
> All in all, it's not a must, but I think everyone who wants to donate
> something would be glad if (s)he would know what happens with the
> money.

This was covered recently (sorry about line wrapping)

Master Thread:
http://news.gmane.org/onethread.php?group=gmane.linux.gentoo.user&root=%3C20030626032450.GA15746%40force.stwing.upenn.edu%3E

Key Posts:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/38206
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/38231
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/38280

Key Points:

Gentoo is working actively towards becoming a Not For Profit (NFP)
corporation.  This is one of the stated goals (on the front page) of
store.gentoo.org -- to help raise money to pay the legal fees to become a
NFP.

Gentoo is not profitable.  Despite the fact that we're currently registered
as a "for profit" company, we don't make any money.  Were it not for
donations, both of cash as well as bandwidth, hardware, mirrors, etc.
Gentoo *would not be possible*.  gentoo.oregonstate.edu alone transfers
~400GB - 600GB of data *per day*.  That's 36Mbps of average utilization or
most of a DS-3 connection.  Anyone who has ever priced a DS-3 before knows
that they're not cheap.

So, despite what the tax man thinks about Gentoo, we very much operate just
like a "real" NFP company does.  As soon as we get enough money together,
we'll make the change official.  If you want to help, send a donation and
note on it that you want the money to be used expressly for converting
Gentoo to a NFP corp.  (the last link that I posted above states that you
can do just that)

--kurt