From: Spider [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 9:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] auto Emerrge world

begin  quote
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:48:38 +0900
Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To sum up, if you want absolutely no breakage then Dhruba, Collins and
> Spider have the right ideas - especially Collins with his "wait two
> weeks" policy. Actually Spider broke his test box recently and did it
> all by himself - but that was a hard drive failure! If you can accept
> a small amount of breakage and have the time and intellect to find the
> solutions, then automatic updating is not such a bad thing.

Yep, i'd personally advice against doing nightly updates without
overseeing things.   (I never do emerge -u world even, ever. i do each
pack or in groups. )

What could be doable on a nightly basis (but I don't do it for other
reasons)

 emerge sync
emerge -fu world

since that might reduce waitingtimes a bit in the system when you
update.

also, for stability.. I'd adivce -against-  leaving a system untouched
for too long.  When you get a big queue of updates theres a situation
that hasn't been tested properly. (anyone want to donate 40 or 50
machines that we can put someplace and try 3 months delayed deployment
on?  That would be necessary...  and even then it wouldn't be proper
since we can't have all the software running then.)

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!