On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi,
>    I'm looking at a very small problem on my new Gentoo kernel where I get
> the message while booting
>
> modprobe: can't locate module /dev/rtc
>
>    From googling around it appears that the recommended solution to this
> (comment if you disagree) is to compile enhanced rtc support into my kernel
> (it's not in there right now) AND to create /dev/rtc using the mknod command
> with a major number 10 and a minor number 135.
>
>    It may be that I don't really need to create the
>
> QUESTION 1: Is this correct?
>
> mknod /dev/rtc 10 135
>
> Or do I need to add the c option since it says make a 'character' special
> file?
>
> mknod /dev/rtc c 10 135

You have the command written correctly the second time.  However, as
Gentoo defaults to using devfs, you shouldn't have to manually create a
/dev entry.  But you still have the options of: 1) Compile enhanced RTC
support into your kernel (or as module), 2) find what wants enhanced RTC
support and don't use it, or 3) ignore the error.

> QUESTION 2: Is there a way to see the major and minor numbers, along with
> the type of device an existing character or block special file is once it
> exists in /dev? I cannot find the sort of intuitive 'lsnod' command. How
> does one make sure that the major minor numbers don't trample on each other?

It's simpler than you think.  'ls -l /dev' shows you what it is.  The
first letter of the permissions is b for block device, c for character
device, or l for symlink.  If it's a symlink, then you have to look at
what it links to.  But then, you'll see two numbers (a, b) in the size
field.  This is the major, minor numbers.

And if you want to create a device that doesn't exist but don't know its
numbers, everything is listed in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt
(or wherever you have your kernel sources).

--
Marshal Newrock, unemployed Linux user in Lansing, MI
Caution: Product will be hot after heating