I've  been very happy with LVM. I have /root on reiserfs and /boot on ext2,
but all my other partitions are on LVM and are reiserfs:

/dev/hda3             2.9G  243M  2.6G   9% /
/dev/vg/usr            10G  6.5G  3.6G  65% /usr
/dev/vg/usr_local      10G  4.9G  5.2G  49% /usr/local
/dev/vg/home           30G   18G   13G  60% /home
/dev/vg/opt           2.0G  1.7G  330M  84% /opt
/dev/vg/var           8.0G  2.3G  5.8G  29% /var
/dev/vg/tmp           3.0G  322M  2.7G  11% /tmp
none                  252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda1              99M  9.3M   85M  10% /boot

I don't know how representative my experiences have been, but I ended up
assigning too much space to the /tmp and /var partitions by following the
guide. YMMV.

With reiserfs, shrinking a partition isn't hard at all.

In general, I'm very happy with my setup. I've both grown and shrunk
partitions, and it was easy.

Good luck.

-- Stephen

--