Hello to you all,

I am very interested about installing gentoo on my system : I am can't wait for a distro manager to update his rpms for a new software to be available on ly machine. I always end up downloading the sources and then breaking the package management system. Portage seems very interesting for me in that way. I also like the fact that it is similar to the process of LFS (which is for me to much of a hassle because of the lack of automation and dependancy checking).

The fact is that I only have an rtc connection at home. While I cannot afford to install gentoo that way, I have access to a broadband connection available at my school.

My questions are
1.Is it possible to do some kind of 'emerge bootstrap --pretend' for the _WHOLE_ gentoo installation ?
I'd like to be able to download all the sources needed at school, burn them to a few CD's and then let my isolated machine compile during a few days. I would then upgrade my system the usual way with my rtc connection (I can bear up to around 10-20megs sources dl).

2. Could someone provide some figures about compilation time to compare with my machine? I have a 566Mhz Celeron but a bunch of RAM (312Mb) so I would be interested in the time taken to perform such compilation. How about the size of the sources as well (multimedia desktop Linux using GNOME).

3.Short (and last) one: are the ebuilds introducing any dependancy on the availability of new software (e.g. are the ebuilds of one version (eg GNOME2.2) usable for another one (GNOME2.4))?

Thank you very much for your consideration,

Regards,

Vincent

-- Vincent Rubiolo 4th Year Student At The School Of Engineering Ecole des Mines de Nantes (France) http://www.emn.fr