On Wednesday 17 September 2003 15:59, Vincent Rubiolo wrote:
> I am very interested about installing gentoo on my system : I am can't wait
> for a distro manager to update his rpms for a new software to be available
> on ly machine. I always end up downloading the sources and then breaking
> the package management system. Portage seems very interesting for me in
> that way. I also like the fact that it is similar to the process of LFS
> (which is for me to much of a hassle because of the lack of automation and
> dependancy checking).

With Gentoo, you still need to "wait for a distro manager to update his"
packages but it tends to happen faster than any other distro.

> The fact is that I only have an rtc connection at home. While I cannot
> afford to install gentoo that way, I have access to a broadband connection
> available at my school.
>
> My questions are
> 1.Is it possible to do some kind of 'emerge bootstrap --pretend' for the
> _WHOLE_ gentoo installation ?
> I'd like to be able to download all the sources needed at school, burn them
> to a few CD's and then let my isolated machine compile during a few days. I
> would then upgrade my system the usual way with my rtc connection (I can
> bear up to around 10-20megs sources dl).

You're probably better of to get the 2cd live cd set. This includes
precompiled packages for the system and popular software. Afterward, you
could then sync the portage tree from home and do an "emerge -ufp world" to
find out what needs to be updated and *what* source tarballs you need to get
from *where*. After that's done upgrading over your rtc connection (what is
that?) shouldn't be too much bandwidth.

> 2. Could someone provide some figures about compilation time to compare
> with my machine? I have a 566Mhz Celeron but a bunch of RAM (312Mb) so I
> would be interested in the time taken to perform such compilation. How
> about the size of the sources as well (multimedia desktop Linux using
> GNOME).

I have an AthlonXP 1800 with 256MB and estimate the following from memory:
Base system - 5~6 hours
XWindows - ~2 hours
Gnome - ~4 hours
KDE - ~8 hours (QT stuff is slow to compile)
KOffice - 3~4 hours
OpenOffice - ~12 hours

Your system would take about twice as long at a guess.

> 3.Short (and last) one: are the ebuilds introducing any dependancy on the
> availability of new software (e.g. are the ebuilds of one version (eg
> GNOME2.2) usable for another one (GNOME2.4))?

It really depends on the software. If a gnome22 app is incompatible with
gnome24 then the app's ebuild will be updated to prevent to show a conflict
with gnome24 and gnome wont be updated unless the conflicting app is
uninstalled.

Regards,
Jason