Fred Clausen wrote:

I get an error, in random places ...

Maybe it's not your case, but I experienced, that in case
of random errors during compilation there is a HW problem, mostly RAM.

I had to increase CPU supply voltage on **not* *overclocked Athlon XP
about + 0.2V to get compilation to work (random errors received)
(What's funny, installation of RH from CD passed ok,  and the system
was usable ...  I tryied to install Gentoo in chroot on it.)

I case you didn't checked your RAM already, instal RAM test

emerge memtest86

add it to lilo or grub, reboot and let it run minimum one cycle ...

I am 99% sure your board will fail

noro