On Saturday 20 September 2003 12:11, Stephen Liu wrote:
> After
> # emerge -K genkernel
> # emerge gentoo-sources
> # genkernel
> * Running "make oldconfig"...              [ ok ]
> * Logging to /var/log/genkernel.log...  [ ok ]
> * Starting 2.4.20-gaming-r3 build...     [ ok ]
> * Running "make dep"...                      [ ok ]
> * Running "make bzImage"...                 [ ok ]
> * Running "make modules"...
>
> It hanged here for more than 45 minutes compelling me to switch off the
> PC.  From 'Running "make dep"' to 'Running "make bzImage"' and then to
> 'Running "make modules"' it was very slow.  Each took at least 30
> minutes or even more.

Depending on your machine, this sounds completely normal. "make modules" will
be the longest process as most drivers are built as modules with genkernel.
If there is _any_ hard disk activity at all, just wait until it completes. My
favourite test to see if a machine has locked up is to see if Num Lock still
works. If it does, in most cases you just need to wait until the computer's
finished whatever it's doing.

> 1)
> If switching off the PC after "Code listing 16.2: Emerging genkernel",
> is it necessary to start from "Code listing 6.3: Starting up fdisk"
> again.  Or just
>
> # mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
> # mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
>
> and continue on the Step (Code listing) where I stopped
>
> (Remark: I will setup broadband connection again)

Before you remount your partitions. Run
# fsck /dev/hda3
# fsck /dev/hda1

or if you are using reiserfs, run
# reiserfsck /dev/hda3
# reiserfsck /dev/hda1

This will check your disks for any errors.

> 3)
> After Step-10 as mentioned in point 2) above, I jumped to Step-13
> (Starting from Stage3) skipping Stage1 and Stage2.  Any omission?

This is fine.

> 4)
> Step-16. Installing the kernel and system logger
>
> Whether I need these steps
> # emerge -k genkernel
> # emerge -k gentoo-sources
> # genkernel
>
> OR just perform
> # emerge gentoo-sources
> # genkernel

All you should need to do is run genkernel again.

> 5)
> I suppose that I can omit 'Manual kernel configuration' and all
> process thereafter and jump to Step-17 "Installing miscellaneous
> necessary packages"

Manual configuration will get your kernel compiled much faster as it is not
compiling anything that you wont use. genkernel is much simpler if you've
never compiled a kernel before, though.

> 6)
> Step-21. Final Network Configuration
> I use RealTek RTL-8139 (Filand NIC).  Shall I make any change here.

Do as it says it the config guide. Basically, you need to set up your network
so that it starts automatically when you reboot into your new gentoo
installation.

Jason