Hi Jason,

Thanks for your advice.

Still encountered difficulty to proceed.

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 11:44, Jason Stubbs wrote:
- snip -
> > * Running "make oldconfig"...              [ ok ]
> > * Logging to /var/log/genkernel.log...  [ ok ]
> > * Starting 2.4.20-gaming-r3 build...     [ ok ]
> > * Running "make dep"...                      [ ok ]
> > * Running "make bzImage"...                 [ ok ]
> > * Running "make modules"...
> >
> > It hanged here for more than 45 minutes compelling me to switch off the
> > PC.  From 'Running "make dep"' to 'Running "make bzImage"' and then to
> > 'Running "make modules"' it was very slow.  Each took at least 30
> > minutes or even more.
>
> Depending on your machine, this sounds completely normal. "make modules" will
> be the longest process as most drivers are built as modules with genkernel.
> If there is _any_ hard disk activity at all, just wait until it completes. My
> favourite test to see if a machine has locked up is to see if Num Lock still
> works. If it does, in most cases you just need to wait until the computer's
> finished whatever it's doing.

Noted with thanks

> > 1)
> > If switching off the PC after "Code listing 16.2: Emerging genkernel",
> > is it necessary to start from "Code listing 6.3: Starting up fdisk"
> > again.  Or just
> >
> > # mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
> > # mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
> >
> > and continue on the Step (Code listing) where I stopped
> >
> > (Remark: I will setup broadband connection again)
>
> Before you remount your partitions. Run
> # fsck /dev/hda3
> # fsck /dev/hda1
>
> or if you are using reiserfs, run
> # reiserfsck /dev/hda3
> # reiserfsck /dev/hda1
>
> This will check your disks for any errors.

Yes.  I did as advised.

- snip -
> > 4)
> > Step-16. Installing the kernel and system logger
> >
> > Whether I need these steps
> > # emerge -k genkernel
> > # emerge -k gentoo-sources
> > # genkernel
> >
> > OR just perform
> > # emerge gentoo-sources
> > # genkernel
>
> All you should need to do is run genkernel again.

As super ROOT
I must proceed as follows otherwise 'genkernel' could not work

# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
# source /etc/profile
# genkernel
* Running "make oldconfig"...             [ ok ]
* Logging to /var/log/genkernel.log...  [ ok ]
* Starting 2.4.20-gaming-r3 build...     [ ok ]
* Running "make dep"...                      [ ok ]
* Running "make bzImage"...                 [ ok ]
* Running "make modules"...
: aborting

I tried three times with the same result and could not proceed further.

> > 5)
> > I suppose that I can omit 'Manual kernel configuration' and all
> > process thereafter and jump to Step-17 "Installing miscellaneous
> > necessary packages"
>
> Manual configuration will get your kernel compiled much faster as it is not
> compiling anything that you wont use. genkernel is much simpler if you've
> never compiled a kernel before, though.

Noted

> > 6)
> > Step-21. Final Network Configuration
> > I use RealTek RTL-8139 (Filand NIC).  Shall I make any change here.
>
> Do as it says it the config guide. Basically, you need to set up your network
> so that it starts automatically when you reboot into your new gentoo
> installation.

Noted

B.R.
Stephen