It appears that he's running two nic's, in which case he'll need a cross over cable or to go and buy a hub/switch..

"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live."   - Peter Cochrane

From: Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Idiots guide to NAT and DHCP
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:40:25 -0500

Adam Mercer wrote:
Hi

I want to setup a DHCP server on my desktop machine so that I can plug
my laptop into my second network port and then access the internet
through my desktop using NAT. However I can't get it too work. I've
followed as much of the NAT and DHCP howtos that I can but can't get it
too work.

Does anyone know of an idiots guide to setting this up?

First of all, you must have iptables support with Full NAT enabled in your kernel or built as modules. That is the most important thing. Do you have 2 NICs in your desktop machine or a hub?

--
Andrew Gaffney