Actually, they do occasionally overwrite.  And thats independent on the
etc-update user interface design problems (making it too easy to
overwrite important files.)

About the time that modules.autoconf was spreading disaster (I had 3
machines lose the contents of that file until I realised what was
happening and kept a backup.) an overwrite of /etc/fstab was occuring as
well.  I have also had sporadic overwrites of other important files, but
never tracked down why.

Its one of the hazards of gentoo, and you would be well advised to keep
backups of important config files, both for this reason and for the more
common admin disasters - I have heard of some going as far as cvs'ing
the contents.

BillK