--- Joshua Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've spent over an hour reading the Gimp manual and on Linuxprinting.org and am
> still unclear as
> to what I need todo.
>
> I have a HP-DeskJet_5550
>
> I followed Gentoo's Printing Guide.
>
> I followed the guide, emerged cups, foomatic, and gimp-print.
> I can print from the command line as well as from KDE apps to.
>
> But when I open the Gimp and goto File>>>, Open>>>, <some .png or .jpeg file> and
> then right
> click
> on the image and choose "File" there's no "print" selection.
>
> I'm assuming that this is becuase when I was following the Gentoo printer setup
> guide I was a
> little unclear which drivers I needed to install, so I chose the obvious. The driver
> for my
> printer.
>
> These were the drivers that I could choose from after "grep'ing".
> gimp-print-ijs
> hpijs
>
> Do I need to specify both drivers in the "foomatic-configure" command. If so, what
> is the exact
> command that I need to give to have both drivers loaded.
>
> This is what I've used so far.
> foomatic-configure -s cups -p HP-DeskJet_5550 -c file:/dev/lp0 -n HP -d hpijs
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

OK...I changed the "foomatic-configure" command to relect the drive to be used as:
foomatic-configure -s cups -p HP-DeskJet_5550 -c file:/dev/lp0 -n HP -d gimp-print-ijs

When I connect to the printer via the web page on port :631 I can see that the hpijs
driver was
replaced by "gimp-print-ijs". I can still print from the command line and KDE but I
still don't
get a print menu or setup anyhwere that I see in Gimp.

Even after unmerging Gimp and remerging I get the same results. So, now I'm very
perplexed.

Thanks,
JBanks