Read this message a little late, but what machine arch are you using? I've looked
through the replies, and haven't seen anything regarding machine arch. The first one
is a problem on SPARC, which is easily fixed.

Here is our solution to it (may or may not work on x86, I've never had a problem)

Add this to /etc/X11/XF86Config, in Section "ServerLayout":

Option "HandleSpecialKeys" "Always"

2.  I'm not sure on.

3.  check your dmesg, does it say anything about ppp in it?
(dmesg | grep ppp).  Maybe you have it compiled into the kernel just fine, and it
still has an entry in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.x, and its complaining about
not finding the module because there isn't on.
Just a guess.