At 12:49 AM 10/4/03 , Leendert van den Berg wrote and said this:
> >Can you change to VT1? ctrl+ alt+ F1?n If so, but not to other
> >terminals X is starting before the VT's are spawned. Not sure how to
> >check for that though
>
> I can not change to any terminal once in X.
>

> >Another thing to try.... Open an xterm (konsole if you're using KDE)
> >and type:
> >
> >setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc101 -layout us -option ""
> >
> >Now try to change to a VT Can you?
>
> Typed that in and I was still unable to switch consoles in X

When you run
xmodmap -pke
you should see the keycodes for the F1, F2, etc. keys (67, 68, etc.)
be mapped to something like
keycode  67 = F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1

If the XF86_Switch_VT_1 is not there, this may be a reason you are unable to
switch virtual consoles. I had this problem because I was using a dvorak xmodmap
file, but it did not properly map the codes to the XF86_* keysyms. My solution
was to modify the keymap I was loading, and add the corresponding entries.

When I type that I see the keycodes for all the Function keys.