Thanx for your reply.

I took your config-file and used it for a "make oldconfig" under my own
kernel. Then I used "make config" to change all the options other than the
network once (of course I selected my ethernet driver there but that was the
only modifcation) and compiled and installed the Kernel, along with the
modules. Yet this wouldn't help. Then, Jason Stubbs pointed out in his emails
that the problem pertains to the development kernels since 2.6.0-test3 and is
due to some incompatibilities caused by the acpi-drivers. Jason provided two
boot-up options that eliminated the problems:
apci=off or pci=noacpi
I chose the latter one since it lets me powerdown automatically without having
to press the powerswitch for the pc to shutdown. :-)