Niklas Koponen wrote:
On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 11:13:13PM +0100, Peter Ruskin wrote:

On Sunday 05 Oct 2003 21:55, Niklas Koponen wrote:

Ok... more sleep and less computers... I guess. I ran out of space in
/-partition when emerging wine. I had to move the /var/tmp directory
to another place and do a mount --bind. When doing that I guess I
screwed up the file permissions in /var/tmp. When X started it gave
an error about not being able to write something in /var/tmp. It was
some xkeycompiler or something. I already lost the log. When giving
write permission to the world the keyboard started working fine.

Now the question is that what are the correct permissions in /var/tmp
directory?

$ ls -la /var/tmp total 44 drwxrwxrwt 5 root root 4096 2003-10-03 11:08 .

What does the t in the end mean?

The 't' refers to the 'sticky' bit. This means that only root or the owner of a particular file can delete files within that directory.

--
Andrew Gaffney