On 17:57 Sun 12 Oct     , Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> Finally I got the problem fixed.   Now Gentoo can be started.   I
> can mount CDRom but not Floppy.
>
> # mount -t ext2 (ext3 or dos)  /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0, or
> too many mounted file systems
> I also tried
> # mount  /mnt/floppy  with no result

You must specify the correct fs type.  For a Windows floppy:  mount -t vfat /dev/fd0
/mnt/floppy

> My /etc/fstab
> /dev/fd0      /mnt/floppy  auto    noauto, owner, kudzu
> (I have this line  "proc   /proc   proc   default
> whether I need it)
>
> However  '/boot/grub/grub.conf' disappears, both the folder
> 'grub' and 'grub.conf'
>
> # updatedb
> # locate grub.conf
> /usr/share/doc/grub-0.93.20030118/grub.conf.sample.gz
>
> Could not find it !!!!!     There is nothing under /boot/

Gentoo doesn't mount /boot by default.  You have to mount it (as root).

> I still have following problems.
>
> 1) sound card could not be detected (I will deal it as a new
> issue in another posting)
>
> 2) bootdisk could not boot the new system automatically.  It
> prompted;
> grub>
>
> (Remark: I created it according to Code listing 24.1 as follows)
>
> # cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/
> # cat stage1 stage2 > /dev/fd0
>
> I could not mount it to read its content
>
> 3) I could not connect broadband
>
> My  /etc/conf.d/net
> iface_eth1="dhcp"   (only one line.  only one ethernet card)
>
> # adsl-setup  (tried as ROOT and Super ROOT)
> - bash: adsl-setup: command not found
> # neat
> - bash: neat: command not found

How did you boot it?  Also, if you have only 1 nic, you device is eth0.

> I need to connect to broadband because I expect to continue
> installing other packages such as KDE, GNOME and update them from
> Internet.
>
> >starbaby (~) $ sudo mount /dev/hdb1 /boot
> >starbaby (~) $ cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
> >default 0
> >timeout 30
> >splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> >title=Gentoo Linux
> >root (hd1,0)
> >kernel (hd1,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hdb3
> >hdc=ide-scsi
> >initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r7
> >

> a) What are following lines used for
>
> starbaby (~) $ sudo mount /dev/hdb1 /boot
> starbaby (~) $ cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

sudo allows certain users to execute certain root commands (emerge app-admin/sudo, then
man sudo) .  I just mounted /boot (not mounted by default, as per above), and read
grub.conf to stdout.

> b) Why you use (hd1,0) not (hd0,0) ?

Because my /boot is on the 1st partition of my 2nd hd.  Grub uses formal computer
science parlance, i.e., the first device (or whatever) is 0, the 2nd, 1, etc.

--
Barry Marler
Plant Genome Mapping Laboratory