Hi Jon,

- snip -

Problme now solved. I can mount another floppy created on another Linux box with '/mnt/floppy' There is nothing wrong on the floppy nor its drive, only impossible to read bootdisk.

I tried following command without success

# mount /mnt/floppy
# mount -t ext3 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
# mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Can you advise how to read a bootdisk. Thanks

The boot disk won't have a filesystem on it so you will not be able to mount it. It will be a boot image that you are only able to boot from.

Noted with thanks

To load your installation you will need to know where you installed the kernel and initrd file (if you used one). The online manual for grub can be found at http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_mono/grub.html. But the gentoo installation guide has a quick introduction to booting you machine with grub.

I made following test without result

1)
grub> root (hd0,0)

2)
I tried following combination without success
grub> kernel --type --no-mem-option linux
grub> kernel --type=linux --no-mem-option

and could not proceed further

Kindly advise the correct syntax

I found
# whereis kernel
kernel: /usr/src/linux/kernel  /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r7/kernel

Also what shall I input in the next step
grub> module (file)
What shall I type for 'file'

Thanks in advance.

B.R.