On 13 Oct 2003, at 11:41 pm, William Kenworthy wrote:

Check the download area, they have distcc in the name.

Hmmn... I did try looking before posting.
I can't see any with "distcc" in the title in any of the Pentium-compatible subdirectories of:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/x86/1.4/ livecd/

Is there somewhere else I should be looking..?

 However the one
I tried had an older version of gcc on it so was useless for distcc on
an uptodate net.

As I understand it as long as the "most-major" versions are the same, then one is likely to be ok. EG: I have gcc-3.2.3 installed, so any gcc-3.2.x would be OK. But of course the version on any liveCDs available may not meet this criteria.

There is a livecd ebuild that installs a script to create a livecd to
your specs - I got as far as emergeing it but have not had time to try
it yet.

I tried it a while back (see <http://tinyurl.com/qsvf>) but didn't have much joy with it. As you can see from this thread <http://tinyurl.com/qsvl> documentation & help isn't that forthcoming on this subject (which I would have otherwise thought popular). I might have another crack if I get stuck enough.

I ended up using a small partition on the host machine and installed a
basic version of gentoo on it, and use a boot floppy to avoid stuffing
with the doze boot process.  Invisible until you stuff the floppy in.

Hmmmn... I'll bear that in mind. But I'm a bit pushed for space on this machine (these machines?).

Stroller.