Le Mardi 14 Octobre 2003 14:42, Stephen Liu a écrit :
> Hi Mike,
>
> >- snip -
> >
> >emu10k1 is a sound driver which must be compiled into the kernel or
> >compiled as a module. Have you done that? If not, you need to and
> >then be sure the module is loaded at boot time otherwise you will not
> >have sound.
>
> I will reinstall emu10k1.   At time of installing the OS its
> installation ran continuously without end.  I terminated it by reboot.
>
> I  expect to know whether after starting the OS, I can run
>
> # emerge  emu10k1
>
> without going through with Live-CD and chroot, etc.  Is there a shortcut?
>
> B.R.
> Stephen

If you use alsa-driver, emu10k1 MUST NOT be compiled in the kernel.

.config snip:
# CONFIG_SOUND_EMU10K1 is not set

"media-sound/emu10k1" should also not be installed (but maybe it doesn't
matter if it's installed anyway).
Compile you kernel without emu10k1 support then run:
ALSA_CARDS='emu10k1' emerge alsa-driver

then add "alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1" to /etc/modules.d/alsa

ntoe that you must re-emerge alsa-driver after every kernel compilation.

--
mathieu perrenoud