Hi mathieu,

mathieu wrote:
- snip -

.config snip:
# CONFIG_SOUND_EMU10K1 is not set

"media-sound/emu10k1" should also not be installed (but maybe it doesn't matter if it's installed anyway).
Compile you kernel without emu10k1 support then run:
ALSA_CARDS='emu10k1' emerge alsa-driver

then add "alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1" to /etc/modules.d/alsa

ntoe that you must re-emerge alsa-driver after every kernel compilation.

If you use alsa-driver, emu10k1 MUST NOT be compiled in the kernel.

Now I have Gentoo 1.4 and KDE 3.1.4 running but without sound. emu10K1 has not been installed.

I tried to follow
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

Code listing 2.1

# cd /usr/src/linux

coming to
# cp .config ~/
where is the correct path to the destination file

Whether I need to download the driver from Alsa website and follow the instruction on
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+Labs&card=Soundblaster+Live+Value&chip=EMU10K1&module=emu10k1

# emerge search alsa
also found
media-sound/alsa-driver
(version 0.9.2)

The latest version of tarball is alsa-driver-0.9.7c.tar.bz2 <ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-0.9.7c.tar.bz2>
from Alsa website
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver

Can I download the latest driver from Alsa website and follow their instruction on the abovementioned URL to proceed skipping Code listing 2.1

Kindly advise. Thank in advance.

B.R.
Stephen Liu