I would seriously suggest going to the Gentoo website (www.gentoo.org) and reading all the documentation, then check out the forums (forums.gentoo.org) and read the frequently asked questions.

As a general rule you don't download any sources, or compile anything manually. That is all handled by emerge, the only package(s) that require manual compilation are the kernel ebuilds.

To get sound working just follow the instructions in the Gentoo Linux ALSA Guide, it provides all the steps needed to get sound working. Do NOT download patches/sources etc, that defeats the whole purpose of Gentoo.

--
Andrew Heberle

"My life is a soap opera, but who has the rights?"
        -- MadameX

Stephen Liu wrote:
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your detail advice and link.

The 1st problem encountered is to untar the package as follows;

# mkdir /home/satimis/kernel
downloaded
patch-2.6.0-test8-bk1.bz2   patch-2.6.0-test8.bz2
from kernel.org

# cd /home/satimis/kernel
# tar jxvf patch-2.6.0-test8.bz2
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header

# tar -jxvf patch-2.6.0-test8.bz2
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header

# tar jxvf patch-2.6.0-test8-bk1.bz2
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

# tar -jxvf patch-2.6.0-test8-bk1.bz2
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

Could not proceed further. Kindly advise.

Thanks in advance.

B.R.
Stephen