> On Thursday 16 Oct 2003 01:14, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > OK, so no one here in Gentooland is using SATA. Do you know if this
> > 'Compatibility Mode' for the SATA drive controller exists in your
> > machine's BIOS? If this is a machine that you reboot once in a while,
> > would that be something you'd mind taking a minute to look for?
>
> On mine the BIOS settings for SATA are just enabled/disabled.
>
> Peter

Peter,
   Thanks for looking. I really appreciate you taking the time to look
around in there. BIOS stuff is seldom that well documented. It's
disappointing that the Asus Intel board has this compatibility mode and the
Asus Via board does not. I guess the Intel South Bridge chip designers must
have thought of this issue.

   Based on feedback from one of the Redhat forums, I'm thinking that I'll
likely have to go with the P4C800 which apparently can install Redhat 9 on
SATA drives. Once I have that working, I'll likely try out Gentoo's install
since I'd really rather run Gentoo.

   Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers,
Mark