Hello!

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 02:30:47PM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Sunday 19 October 2003 11:02, Andrew Kirilenko wrote:
> > glxgears gives me about 650 FPS (1152x864 24bpp) default glxears window
> > size. But when I'm totally covering glxgears win with xterm I'm getting
> > 8000 FPS (that's expected :) and when I'm covering only very small part
> > of green gear with xterm, I'm getting about 1500-1600 FPS (and that's
> > strange). Next, when maximizing window to fullscreen, it shows about 72
> > FPS, but gears SEEMS to rotate much quickly. Can somebody explain me
> > this behaivor?
>
> Your brain can't interpret images at much more than 120fps and you're monitor
> can only output at about the same or less. At 72fps is looks like the gears
> are actually turning. At 650fps or 1600fps you're only seeing every 5th or
> 10th or 15th frame of what the computer is actually calculating and putting
> into video memory.
Yes, yes, yes. I understand this. But what if I'd start some complex opengl app?
I'm not sure it'll provide me with 20-30 FPS while simple glxgears (not
SO simple, but simple enough) provides me only with 700. I'm emerging
tuxracer for test this right now (it's the best opengl testing app, I
know).

BTW. For ATI / NV discussion - my prefference is ATI because:
- better open drivers support (and almost the same quality closed
  support as in NV)
- __MUCH__ better 2D
- if you want fast 3D - ATI is the best (I have got my radeon 9100 for
  about $110 about 4 months ago and it supports... hmm... pixel shaders
  e.g.). NV card with the same capatibilities will cost about $150.

> BTW, you're lucky to get 8000fps off-screen. I get ~550fps at regular size,
> ~75fps at full-screen (1024x768x24) and only ~1550 at regular size
> off-screen. Probably due to lack of DRM-support of nvidias? or is that just
> wishful thinking ;-)

Best regards,
Andrew.