What I really despise is pdf attachments. OO will create pdf just
fine, but there's no way to read and modify it on linux (that I
am  aware of).

There are many pdf viewers for linux. I use gpdf, and have used ggv, xpdf, and a few others. They are fairly decent, but the font rendering, at least on pdf's i have viewed, is terrible. And they lack the ability to search pdfs (if the pdf itself has said ability).

That said, acrobat reader is availiable for linux.

True enough, but there's no way to modify a pdf.  You can create pdf easily
enough from other files, but you can't update a pdf.

True enough - but I fail to see the problem here, as the entire purpose of the PDF format is to provide a *read-only* version of a document that anyone can read, no matter what platform or what fonts they have installed, as long as they have a reader.

If you want to exchange files that are editable, then you need to do so in a common file format that both of you have.

Charles