On Oct 19, 2003, at 7:37 am, Chris I wrote:

On 2003.10.19 00:34, Collins Richey wrote:
True enough, but there's no way to modify a pdf.  You can create pdf
easily
enough from other files, but you can't update a pdf.

I've never done that on any OS. I'm admittedly not very familiar with the format, but i was under the impression that pdfs were more or less a write-once format.

Apparently I've been missing out :)

Verily so. Adobe Professional for Mac seems quite competent; although it does have some limitations, I've managed to change colours of text & presumably (this wasn't what I was interested in at the time) you can change the content of the text also.

There is a pdflib available for Linux which allows you to work with the contents of pdfs, but:
1) I don't really know how useful it is - the documentation is quite heavy going, and so it's probably not for casual use.
2) Only the demo version is free.

Stroller.