begin  quote
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:02:45 -0400
Hall Stevenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 11:18 AM 10/21/2003, you wrote:
> >The downside is Debian is VERY slow to release stuff into their
> >"stable"
> >branch
>
> As an example, Debian's "stable" branch includes KDE v2.2.
> kdebase-3.1.3  made into unstable on July 30th. When did KDE release
> v3.1.3 ?? Debian (stable) is shipping Gnome 1.4; unstable seems to
> have a mix of Gnome v2.1  and 2.2 stuff.

No.,  They finally, the 14th of october got nautilus marked as unstable
and can now ship that...  Yeeeey. *cough*

> I ran Debian (unstable) for a couple of years and it was rock-solid.
> Problem was even the unstable branch took "too long", IMO, to get new
> versions of software. With KDE 3.x, it was probably months after
> release.

> And even then, you had to use unofficial APT repositories to get the
> stuff.

Yeah.. Debian is unfriendly with this. Their package select tools are
horrid at best as well ( tell me how to list the installerscript that
belongs to a program, please. Needed that info today, and manpages for
dpkg wasn't helpful )

even funnier is how their moving targets disables a lot of things like
installing -dev packages to the old, but stable systemwide , packages
you have installed.

Yet another debianism is /etc/alternatives, which is a nightmare from
the third world.. *cough*

as it is I have been thrown into a world of half-stable half-unstable
and some custom, software at work, and they tell me to manage it. Its
interesting to learn debian the awful way. (now why is $prefix listed in
a lot of the wrapperscripts?  oops, bad packaing.  bah. thirdparty
sources ;./ )

//Spider
  Not so happy monk

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!