At 10:42 AM 10/21/2003, you wrote:
Yes, you have to look at what it wants to update. If it's a file you edit then see what it wants to change. I have some on my list (make.conf, fstab) that I always do manually. You can't just tell etc-update to run and let it loose.

There's a few files, /etc/fstab or /etc/lilo.conf, for example, that Gentoo (emerge) should be more careful about replacing though. Honestly, why do very user/machine-specific files like those two examples need changed ?? Oh, we went from lilo v21.5 up to v21.6 ?? Nope. Do NOT touch it. Or, does Gentoo *force* the user to be more careful (than need be ?) ??

Same with /etc/make.conf. I read that that file is your "custom" make settings and /etc/make.globals was the "standard" settings. Why replace specific things that we've changed ?? Is there a reason they can't go in /etc/make.globals instead.

Otherwise, there are dozens and dozens of *.conf files that I'll never look at or care about. They just work with the settings that someone else deems are needed. Those are the ones I see listed after running etc-update and choose option ( -5).

Off to Gentoo's "bug" submittal system to see if anything like this is already listed....

Hall