I recently bought a Systemax laptop (www.globalcomputer.com) because I
was dissatisfied with most of the major-brand laptops on the market.
Nevertheless, even this computer isn't exactly a dream linux machine. A
couple of things to consider:

a. does the laptop feature intel centrino technology? mine does, but
there's no support for the intel minipci wireless card in linux as of
yet. also, speedstep for the pentium-m doesn't seem to be supported in
the 2.4.2* kernels, although I hear that it is in the 2.6.* series.
also, the 2.4.* kernels don't seem to recognize my cpu cache
(/proc/cpuinfo reports cache size: 0 KB), although again I hear the
2.6.* kernels do. I haven't tried it yet; I don't know.

b. other acpi support, which can be dependent on your bios. call
technical support as ask them about this. will your laptop be able to
sleep and wake up, suspend, hibernate? mine does, but I could never get
this to work on my old Dell laptop.

c. video card. i know lots of people report problems with ATI mobility
cards, so you may have to resort to framebuffer if you can't get a
driver to add hardware acceleration. perhaps i'm lucky, my ATI card
seems to be working fine with X at the moment.

I would look at the laptops made by some of the smaller brands, youu'll
likely find a cheaper machine that works just about as well as any other
laptop out there as far as linux support goes. It depends whats most
important to you. I chose a cheap, light notebook that has slight linux
compatibility problems, but I knew this going into it, and I don't
regret anything. Whatever works for you.

other laptop users, what did i leave out?

eric heller