Hello Fabien,

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 12:10, Fabien Fivaz wrote:

> I just got gentoo installed on a Compaq Presario 714ea notebook. Well, I
> knew that this wasn't the best laptop I could buy for a Linux
> installation (Mobile Duron 1ghz, 128 mb ram, etc.), but I got it at a
> very good price. So... It's my 4th or 5th gentoo installation.
> Everything went straight forward. It still took a whole night to compile
> things from stage3 (using GRP until emerge sync!, then compiling,
> computer got realy hot!). You could ask why I did emerge sync? Well,
> because my desktop is not quite common. I'm using XFCE-4 ! So I did
> emerge sync, then emerge xfce4. Everything went ok. I got to sleep and
> woke up this morning and installed Mozilla, XMMS, etc.

I got an Acer TravelMate 661LCi installed via stage 1.

> But, still, I have a problem with ACPI. It doesn't work (or doesn't seem
> to work). Does someone has some experience about ACPI with Gentoo?
> Please tell me how I can do to check my batteries (the panel plugin
> xfce4-battery always crash). Put the computer into sleep?

The have problems in the same area. The KDE (3.1.4) applet always tells
'battery empty' but the gauge shows the proper fill state.

acpi kernel modules are installed and running.

Actual state is - i have to install acpi and acpid. acpid calls
/etc/acpi/default.sh with Group=button and Action=sleep if i press the
sleep-button. But i am in trouble what to do now (which programs to be called
fron there) to get the notebook into 'suspend to RAM' or 'suspend to disk'
mode.

kind regards
   Petric