Thanks Robert:

> We need to know:
>
> 1. Did the compile itself error out (and at what point), or did it compile,
> and reboot not succeed? Next time, if compile fails, save the history (in
> console, under menu-edit-save history as), and post the last section where
> it stops.

I remember it errored out immediately after I saved my menuconfig
configuration.  It freaked me out and when I restarted my computer, my
computer acted strange so I removed mm-sources and it worked fine after that.

> 2. I looked up the 8000, (can't find 8100), and they have ATI Mobility M4
> or NVIDIA GeForce2 Go. With ATI, compiling into 2.6 works fine (I use
> Radeon 9000 Pros on all my boxes). Nvidia is a different animal. We need to
> know which one you have. If the compile and install succeeds, but on boot
> you get a black screen, it might be an xconfig problem. If you get
> compiling errors, its likely a kernel config problem, followed by an x
> problem.

My notebook has the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500.  There was no driver for it with
the 2.4 kernels so I used a generic ATI driver.  I do not have problems with
it.

> 3. I noticed in your 2.4 config, you have lots of things supported as
> modules, and compiled in, like:
>
> SCSI

I need that for my zip drive.

> ISDN

Not sure if I need that.

> infrared stuff

Definately do not need that.

> In file systems, you have all the XFS as "Y." Do you use that?

I think I answered yes since the instructions said if you are not sure, answer
yes.  I do not use it though.

> USB- do you need everything?

I guess I just need it for my printer, zip drive and mouse.

>  In # Native Language Support, all things are modules, get rid of all you
> don't use.

Will do.

> If you use these things, fine, but in short, with a 2.6 kernel, get rid of
> ANYTHING you don't need. I never had success with 2.5, or 2.6, until I
> realized virtually anything could cause inexplicable failures. Took me 2
> months to hone it down to a rock stable bare-bones .config- now it works
> perfectly, first time, with every new test-x, on my hardware, and I'm still
> refining it, and add things on recompiles. Always save a working config,
> and name it! The deal is, don't expect everything to work! Get it so it
> works with your most important things, and accept the fact it's not
> perfect.

I started with the 2.4 kernel early last month.  My first task was to get my
ethernet card working.  Eventually I got my zip drive and printer to work but
I could not get ALSA up and running.  Dell Inspiron 8100s use the maestro3
driver which I cannot seem to get working.

> ADDENDUM:
> After you've done it a few times, a kernel recompile is very fast, and
> safe, if you compile your kernels as USER, not in /usr/src, as root.

Umm, I am still doing things in root.  A bad habit I know but this is sort of
my test bed.  Right now my computer is partitioned between Gentoo and Windows
but in a couple of months, I want to re-install Gentoo from Stage 1 for my
whole notebook.  I have stopped using Windows.

I will try the compile per your instructions and let you know what happens.

Kevin