You're not the only one who had difficulty. I had to remove IPv6 support from the
kernel to even get it to compile - then when it finally did and I booted it up, there
were a whole heap of errors. I managed to reboot the system (it was the only way to
get all the oops' flying past on the screen) and went back to beta7-mm1.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:58:15PM -0400, rh wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:39:37 -0600
> Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:06:34 -0400 rh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Any one manage to get the latest development-sources to compile. I
> > > had to remove ipv6 support in order to do it; not that that matters
> > > much but it may someday.
> > >
> > > Of course, even when I do get it to compile, it won't boot. Totally
> > > freezes when initializing scsi emulation for my cdrw.
> > >
> > > And 2.6.0_beta7 works so well on my computer...for one, I was
> > > finally was able to get sound and direct rendering working.
> > >

> > I have beta8 running just fine, but I never use ipv6, so I can't
> > comment on that.  All I did was copy over my .config from -test6 (I
> > skipped -test7), make menuconfig (load and save), and generate the
> > kernel as normal.  No glitches of any sort, at boot time or later.
> >
> > You must have borked something.  First verify that your .config really
> > has the expected contents.  If ok, preserve your .config, make
> > mrproper, restore your.config, make menuconfig (load your .config,
> > verify everything again, save), and generate the kernel and update
> > your grub/lilo and try again.
> >
> > If it fails, remove the .tgz package from /usr/portage/distfiles and
> > emerge the package again.  Maybe you got a broken copy.
> >

> Had to remove scsi support and ipv6 but managed to get it booted.
> Everything works as it did under test7 but I will still have to test to
> see whehter my cdrw burns or not.
>
> Still don't think this is normal that I have to remove all of this in
> order to get it to work considering it worked under beta7. I can't be
> the only one having problems with this beta...or I guess I could
> be...who knows?

Paul J. Fraser
[EMAIL PROTECTED]