I run a couple of gentoo openmosix SSI clusters (read: lots of machines)
and I've noticed that uptime is not limited by software stability, but
rather by hardware failure / upgrades, changing server rooms, severe
system updates (mainly kernel changes), and the likes. Once the machines
are left alone, they happily keep humming away into hundreds of days.

And to answer your real question, It's generally not a problem to upgrade
gentoo in the background. A package here, a package there whenever you've
got the time. Sometimes I've run into serious problems, such as the KDE
update from hell, but even that could be done in the background on the
production machines, once I've tried it out on my home box. The major
update problem I'd say is the kernel. It would be nice to be able to
transfer running user space images between kernels.

Jimmy

CSOL research