Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
I tried Gentoo Linux about a year ago. I found it lovely till during a
security update of perl it terminated portage and made it really hard to
resurrect it, I reanimated it several times, but after mass suicde of
perl, python and portage I decided to wait till 1.4 was out.

Now 1.4 is out and I would like to know if anyone has to tell some
success story about uptime, stability etc...

It would be great to hear from many Gentoo users: "I've an uptime of 6
months on my 3 boxes and I never had major problems with my systems" or
similar stories.

When a production server I run got hacked, I took the opportunity to switch to Gentoo from Slackware. The box is twice as responsive as it used to be and has been up with no problems since I did the install back in early August.

I also run Gentoo at home on my desktop system. I've been running it for about a year no with no *major* problems. There have been a few *minor* problems, but that is to be expected when you run with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to get the newest bleeding edge versions of everything down to the kernel.

--
Andrew Gaffney