lodger wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:37:59 -0600
Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There are 2 solutions to this problem. 1) Unmerge alsa-driver and remove the line 'media-sound/alsa-driver' from '/var/cache/edb/worl' or 2) recompile your kernel with your current compiler version and reboot with the new kernel. I believe either way should solve your problem.

--
Andrew Gaffney

Hi Andrew, I had already done 1). And was afraid that I would have to do 2) but I guess I'll have to. I'm in the middle if emerge -e world and there is some etc-updating to do. Should I do this before recompiling the kernel? When I go back to emerge --resume -e will it pick up where I left off?

If you're just recompiling the same versions of packages, you can safely wait to 'etc-update' because you already have current config files in place on the system. As far as I know, 'emerge --resume' should still work after a reboot. Portage doesn't leave anything resident in memory, so it shouldn't be an issue.

--
Andrew Gaffney