On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 03:17:50PM +0800, Zarick Lau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just want to know about the status on python 2.3.
>
> Does portage is totally ready for python 2.3 and
> python 2.3 ebuild stable??
>
> If the both question is positive, what should I do  in order to install
> python 2.3 on my box?
> update portage then python 2.3??
>

> how about those python modules??
> How to make it work with python 2.{2,3}?

I have to admit this has been really frustrating for me as well...  Because I do
a lot of my university work in python 2.3 I haven't really been able to work
from home until 2.3 gets marked as stable.  It's not a big deal, but I like 2.3
and want it available.

But here's my thought... a lot of distributions have multiple versions of python
installed (with binaries like python2.2, python2.3 etc).  So what's stopping
Gentoo from using its slotting mechanism for just this purpose?  Then you could
have all the python versions you want and portage itself could be dependent on
the 2.2 slot of python until such time as they have it ready for 2.3?

If portage is almost ready for 2.3 then I guess it's a moot point.  But it still
seems like a reasonable idea to me.

        Tom

--
Tom Eastman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>