It is rumored that on Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:39:54 +1300
Tom Eastman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 03:17:50PM +0800, Zarick Lau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just want to know about the status on python 2.3.
> >
> > Does portage is totally ready for python 2.3 and
> > python 2.3 ebuild stable??
> >
> > If the both question is positive, what should I do  in order to install
> > python 2.3 on my box?
> > update portage then python 2.3??
> >

> > how about those python modules??
> > How to make it work with python 2.{2,3}?
>
> I have to admit this has been really frustrating for me as well...  Because I
> do a lot of my university work in python 2.3 I haven't really been able to
> work from home until 2.3 gets marked as stable.  It's not a big deal, but I
> like 2.3 and want it available.
>
> But here's my thought... a lot of distributions have multiple versions of
> python installed (with binaries like python2.2, python2.3 etc).  So what's
> stopping Gentoo from using its slotting mechanism for just this purpose?  Then
> you could have all the python versions you want and portage itself could be
> dependent on the 2.2 slot of python until such time as they have it ready for
> 2.3?
>
> If portage is almost ready for 2.3 then I guess it's a moot point.  But it
> still seems like a reasonable idea to me.
>
>       Tom

If you check out the python ebuild in portage, you will see it is slotted for
2.3.  I don't have it installed, but I assume it works (it is still set as ~x86
though).  So technically, you could have it installed at home....
HTH

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
All that we are is the product of what we have thought.