----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Eastman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python 2.3 ready?

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 07:17:28PM -0500, Robert Kruus wrote:
> > If you check out the python ebuild in portage, you will see it is
slotted for
> > 2.3.  I don't have it installed, but I assume it works (it is still set
as ~x86
> > though).  So technically, you could have it installed at home....
> > HTH
>
> Oh ok cool, I admit that I hadn't even checked.  I think I *will* wait
> until portage is ready for it though... after all... I don't mind
> breaking apps every now and then but if portage goes down then you're
> pretty royally screwed.  Best to err on the side of paranoia.
>
> Tom
>

> --
> Tom Eastman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> GnuPG Key:   55A2F424
> Fingerprint: 53D7 0870 EED4 CEB4 984C
>              DD4E 1A75 1B72 55A2 F424

I have to admit I was curious, and installed python 2.3.
It did break emerge, so I just went in to /usr/bin and changed the symlink
back, which worked.
I guess the other answer is to change all the portage scripts to look at the
older python executable...or you're work to use the newer pyhton.
HTH

Rob