Hall Stevenson wrote:

I've seen "export USE="gtk2", "emerge mozilla" suggested before and thought it was a bad idea too. Until you logout and back in, that $USE variable remains in effect. How would "emerge -u gaim", which I believe has NO GTK2 support yet, handle that ??

It would just ignore it. ebuilds only look at USE variables that they know; the abstence or existence or value of other USE variables makes no difference at all.
The problem is with applications that *do* support gtk2, but you don't want them to compile with that support.

"USE=gtk2 emerge mozilla" means to use the $USE variable for _this command only_. Correct ??

Yes. I also think it is more clean and elegant.

--
"Codito ergo sum"
Roel Schroeven