I don't have access to the ebuilds so I would have to check if any of those use
crypt..

You can always check the ebuilds and see if crypt is used.

Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.. You can always hit ctrl-c a few times
and stop things, add the use, then start again. since your probably not that far along
yet.