On Thursday 06 November 2003 10:51 pm, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Collins
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> - snip -
>
> >>OpenOffice 1.0.2
> >>
> >>1)
> >>The package was downloaded and installed from Gentoo wetsite.  It
> >> did not work properly.  I mistakenly removed it with ./setup
> >> method which could not remove all files.  I found follows
> >> remained.
> >>
> >>/etc/openoffice
> >>/var/db/pkg/app-office/openoffice-bin-1.02, etc
> >>/var/cache/edb/dep/app-office/openoffice-bin-1.0.2, etc
> >>/usr/kde/3.1/share/icons/crystalsvg/scalable/apps/oppenoffice.svg
> >>z /usr/portage/metadata/cache/app-opffice/office-bin-1.0.2, etc
> >> /usr/portage/packages/ALL/openoffice-bin-1.0.2tbz2
> >>/usr/portage/app-office/openoffice-bin, etc
> >>etc.
> >>
> >>Kindly advise how to remove all of them collectively?  OR I have
> >> to remove them manually.
> >
> >I don't think you need to worry about any of these; just leave
> > them alone.
>
> Noted with thanks
>
> >>2)
> >>After its complete removal I expect to install OpenOffice 1.1.
> >> How can I search whether OO 1.1 is available on Gentoo website.
> >> If OO 1.1 is not available there can I install OO 1.1 from its
> >> tarball to be downloaded from OO website.
> >
> >You have several choices:
> >
> >Yes, gentoo has the 1.1 builds.
> >
> >Compile from source:  Requires many hours and 4-5G temp work space
> > (!!!!).
> >
> >1. emerge openoffice
> >2. emerge openoffice-ximian
> >
> >Install binary:
> >
> >1. emerge openoffice-bin
> >2. Download an openoffice binary tarball
> >3. Dowload an openoffice-ximian tarball.
> >
> >I'm lazy; I prefer the binary install.  Some people swear by the
> > -ximian builds, but I haven't noticed a lot of difference.
>
> Space is not a problem to me.  I am running Gentoo 1.4 on a slow
> PC-AMD, K7 with 40G hard drive.  But speed is a major problem.  I
> took 72 hours to install Gentoo 1.4
>
> If I download OO1.1 tarball from OO website and start its
> installation, it will be much quicker.  Is there any difference
> compared with compiling it from Gentoo ebuild.
>
> B.R.
> Stephen

From what I've seen, having installed both the binary and the source
builds of OO, The source build starts a bit quicker but I notice no
difference at least in the OO writer part. Even if it took 5 seconds
longer to open, I figure I would have to open it about 15,000 times
before I would gain back the time spend building from source. Is it
worth it? depends on how often you use it. If you were to open OO 5
times a day, it would take 3 years to see a benefit.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free