Donnie Berkholz wrote:

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 14:54, spundun wrote:

<snipped question about kdrive, [EMAIL PROTECTED] and cvs ebuild>
Thanks for asking. I'm glad to hear of interest in this.

It's currently in sync with www.xfree86.org, plus some patches to fix
bugs. It's there so users have some options to use a small X server.

I dont understand. I think kdrive is not related to xfree86.org .

I'm well aware of the development on freedesktop.org, and I'm also aware
that it's quite active. That in itself raises questions whether it
should be in portage before they've issued a semi-official release. It
suggests that they do not believe it is stable enough for a release.
However, I have a suspicion such a thing may not be far off.

May be an uofficial ebuild is in order for over-enthusiastic users like me :)
You know that mine (and everybody and their dog's) sudden interest in xserver is due to the new developement regarding compositing manager extension which enables ppl to use effects similar (but not limited) to OS-X, right?

The other problem I've seen is that we should install all of the
libraries xserver requires to /usr/X11R6/, which would overwrite xfree's
files.

I think [EMAIL PROTECTED] can work with xlib etc components from XFree project. Ask on their irc #xwin to confirm.

(When compiling xserver/xlibs by hand, one typically installs to
/usr/local/.) So xserver/kdrive will need to change to an exclusive
build, instead of something that can be installed alongside xfree.

I dont understand the exact nature of the problem, but it seems trivial! may be I am missing something,

I have ebuilds for most of the required things already (all of them as
of last time I build xserver, two weeks ago), available on
dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/overlay/. Distfiles are available in the same
place.

Are they cvs snapshots? If yes, then what date? kdrive, or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanx a lot for your response.
Spundun